Sunday, June 2, 2013

Makeup Messing: Dolly Goth + Ramblings

I remember when I used to play with my mother's makeup as a child, thinking what fun it was to paint faces with pretty shades of blue and pink. As I got older and my love for all things makeup and beauty blossomed, I began to discover ways in that makeup could accentuate one's face. I loved shimmering eyeshadows and things that sparkled. Then, I grew older still and grew into who I am today. I found my sense of style, discovered my preferences and views. All of this essentially formed the crux of my current "beauty standing" (Yes, I absolutely did just make that saying up). But after I found what I wanted for myself, I began to look at makeup in a different way. Not just as a way to bring out beauty but as an art form. A makeup look could be a looking glass into the past, an abstract representation, anything. Upon realizing this, I began to experiment, forcing myself to push the boundaries of everyday makeup and turn it into art. So if you made it this far, you are most likely wondering what any of this has to do with the picture below. Well, here is one of my efforts at expressionism, art through makeup. I love messing around like this, trying out new techniques I would never use otherwise. 


What I've done here is created an exaggerated false lash effect by quick strokes of black liner on a fine liner brush. I also added some iridescent teal to give it an interesting twist. I had a lot of fun with this look, and I felt like it really channeled my style, edgy with a bit of grunge messiness. The wispy lower "lashes" focused on the outer edge of my eye really gave it a pretty "doll" look too, hence the title.


This post has been quite rambly, but I guess I'm just saying that sometimes it's easy to fall into a pattern of conformity with makeup. But having a good "messing" with makeup, while sometimes ending up ridiculous, can also help you push out of your comfort zone. You might find something better than what you have been doing before. I wish you all the best messings!

love,
      io.




3 comments:

  1. I'm going to keep bugging you until you do it! REVIEW NARS PIREE LIPGLOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete